Organisers are welcome to organise cleanups at any time of the year besides the annual data-gathering International Coastal Cleanup Singapore in September. During these Year-Round Coastal Cleanups (YRCC), data cards are set aside but we record the number and weight of the black trash bags for an estimate of the trash load at these sites, which we report on this blog.
We do invite individual volunteers as participants to some of these Year Round Cleanups, and you can stay informed, either by signing up for our mailing list, or by following this blog, our twitter feed or Facebook page.
To find out more about the four types of beaches (Categories A to D) an Organiser can tackle on their own, please see “Suggestions for Year Round Coastal Cleanups”. The help is welcome indeed and we suggest Organisers maximise their efforts by conducting more than one cleanup per year.
Last year, 21 YRCCs were organised by various groups – and multiple cleanups were organised by Bukit Batok Secondary School, NUS Toddycats, NUS High, Mediacorp and Adrian Lim and Friends. The most euphoric of these was our annual National Day mangrove cleanup alongside out stalwart Independents and NUS Toddycats. We shifted the cleanup to the tough site of Lim Chu Kang East Mangrove for the first time and did a really great job!
Here’s is to more love for our mangroves, beaches and shores in 2017!
2016 Year Round Cleanups
- Wed 20 Jan 2016 – Pasir Ris 6 (PR6) by Bukit Batok Secondary School
- Sat 09 Jan 2016 – Sungei Pandan Mangrove (SP2) by NUS Bachelor of Environmental Studies Community Education/Engagement Branch (BES CEB)
- Sat 26 March 2016 – Singapore World Water Day Sungei Pandan Mangrove (SP2) cleanup by NUS Toddycats/ICCS & Independents [link]
- Sat 26 March 2016 – Singapore World Water Day Lim Chu Kang (LCK) cleanup by NUS College of Alice and Peter Tan
- Sun 08 May 2016 – Op (We) Lim Chu Kang mangrove (LCK) cleanup by NUS Toddycats/ICCS & Independents [link]
- Wed 11 May 2016 – Sungei Pandan Mangrove (SP2) by NUS High
- Fri 27 May 2016 – Coney Island Beach A by St. Andrew’s Junior School staff
- Mon 27 Jun 2016 – Lim Chu Kang (LCK) by Danone, Google & NUS Toddycats/ICCS
- Sat 04 Jun 2016 – World Environment Day cleanup @ Pasir Ris 6 (PR6) by Mediacorp [link]
- Fri 10 Jun 2016 – World Oceans Day cleanup @ Coney Island Beach A by L’Oréal Singapore
- Jul 2016 – Sungei Pandan Mangrove (SP2) by NUS High
- 16 Jul 2016 – Sungei Seletar (SS1) by Adrian Lim & Friends
- Sat 06 Aug 2016 – National Day Lim Chu Kang mangrove cleanup by NUS Toddycats/ICCS & Independents
- Sat 06 Aug 2016 – Pasir Ris 6 (PR6) by Bukit Batok Secondary School
- 11 Nov 2016 – Tanah Merah 5 (TM5) by Adrian Lim & Friends
- 12 Nov 2016 – Sungei Pandan Mangrove (SP2) by NUS High