In conjunction with World Environment Day, volunteers with International Coastal Cleanup Singapore (ICCS) will be conducting a marine trash cleanup at Tanah Merah Beach 7 on Sat 06 Jun 2015: 8.00am – 10.30am.
Sign up via this google form by Thu 04 Jun 2015 to join us!
World Environment Day is a day sanctioned by the United Nations (UN) that aims to raise global awareness about the environment and encourage everyone to take positive action to protect our natural environment.
Why Cleanup? In Singapore, our coastlines host a vast amount of biodiversity. Trash present in these areas can impact our wildlife adversely and devalue the natural beauty of the landscape. Volunteers in Singapore, like other concerned individuals around the world, conduct coastal cleanups to remove this trash, raise awareness about the impact of marine trash, and motivate us to adopt sustainable practises in daily urban living.
Tanah Merah Beach 7 is state land located in the east of Singapore, next to Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal (TMFT). This area is closed to members of the public and permission is needed for access .
At first view, Tanah Merah Beach 7 appears pristine. However, within the vegetation of the high strandline lies accumulated trash.
Meeting Point: On the event day of 6th June 2015, we will meet at 0745h at Carpark D opposite the Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal (TMFT), and walk over to the cleanup site.
Directions from Tanah Merah MRT to Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal (TMFT)
- Participants can take bus 35 from the Tanah Merah MRT bus stop (bus code: 85091).
- Alight 4 stops later, at Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal bus stop (bus code: 96219).
- Joleen Chan (see image below) will be stationed at the TMFT bus stop, so alight when you see her! She will be wearing a bright red shirt.
- 7:45am – We meet at Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal carpark, and walk over to the cleanup site together.
- 8.00am – Briefing and identification of Trash Collection Point (TCP). Brief of wet weather plans (which is to carry on unless there is a lighting threat). Organise everyone into groups of four, apply insect repellant, collect gloves, trash bags, and other required logistics.
- 8.15am – Cleanup begins @ TM7 Beach
- 9.30am – End of clean-up. Trash is weighed and discussion/ reflection time.
- 9.45am – Transportation of trash to TCP.
- 10.15am – Participants clean up. Recreational facilities are available at the nearby Ferry Terminal.
- 10.30am – Event ends.
Things to note
- Gloves, trash bags and weighing scales are provided.
- You must wear hard-soled covered shoes or booties to to protect your feet from hazards.
- A change of clothes is recommended after a sweaty workout.
- Long pants are recommended to protect your legs from insect bites, but bermudas are fine.
- In the event of bad weather, we will continue the cleanup. The event will stop in the case of lightning threat.
Things to bring:
- Water bottle (with at least one litre of water)
- Hat and/ or sun block
- Reusable raincoat/ poncho
- Towel to wipe off sand and mud
- Sleep early the night before
- Have a decent breakfast – it’s hard work!
- Be punctual – we are unable to wait for latecomers; tide waits for no one!
- Refer to this recce report of TM7 for more information on the cleanup site.
- Please read our advice to participants to prepare yourself for the cleanup!
Thank you for caring for the environment!